It is important to acknowledge our students graduating from primary school and to this effect hold an official celebration for Year 6 students in the form of a Graduation Evening.
• To organise the GWSPS Graduation Evening for Year 6 students, comprising of a ceremony, dinner and disco.
• The budget is set by school council each year and takes into consideration the number of attendees.
• The Graduation Committee is established during Term 3 and is made up of interested Year 6 parents. All parents who express an interest to help are to be included in the preparations.
• The format of the evening is that children and parents arrive at 5.45pm. The ceremony begins at 6.00pm. Parents to go to the multipurpose centre. Students go to their classrooms or designated meeting point as assigned by teachers. Teachers are in charge of the organisation and supervision of students on the night of graduation.
• During the ceremony, students are presented to the School Principal and the School Council President by their teachers. The formal ceremony consists of speeches from the Principal, School Council President and School Captains.
• Graduating students sing the graduation song written by Oscar Visagie. Any Year 6 student may accompany the graduation song with musical instrument. No other items to be included.
• Parents may take photographs during the ceremony.
• After the ceremony, parents and sibling leave. The Graduation Committee and requested helpers remain on duty throughout the evening for the dinner and disco.
• The venue is the multipurpose centre for presentation, dinner and disco.
• The disco will conclude by 10.00pm.
• Dinner is formal with crockery, cutlery, glasses and tablecloths. The Graduation Committee may wish to use disposable crockery/glasses.
• Dress code is smart casual for both boys and girls. No backless or strapless dresses. No high heels. No makeup other than lip gloss. Girls will be asked to wash faces if makeup has been applied, before they will be permitted to attend the ceremony, dinner or disco.
• The certificate to be used will be approved by the Graduation Coordinator. The invitations and program should match.
• There will be an official GWSPS Graduation trophy as agreed upon by the committee.
• Student will have the opportunity to purchase a graduation souvenir such as a stuffed bear or ball. These are able to be signed on the last day of the school year.
• Invitees to the ceremony will be the School Principal, the Assistant Principal, the School Council President, Level 5/6 Teachers and Integration Aides and the Specialist Teachers (e.g. P.E. Performing Arts, LOTE, Visual Arts). Other staff may request to attend or be invited to attend the ceremony.
• The Graduation Committee will be responsible for implementing this policy. All communication is to go through the Level 5/6 Graduation Coordinator before being published.
• Menu, decorations, entertainment and ordering of certificates, invitations, programs and mementoes will be the responsibility of the Graduation Committee and must fall within the set budget.
• There will be a set menu for all students consisting of pizza, chicken, chips and salad. Dessert to be decided by the Graduation Committee. Special dietary requirements will be catered for.
• A DVD will be created by the Level 5/6 teachers and will be part of the ceremony, playing while families enter for the ceremony.
• Students may bring T-shirts or dresses to be signed on the last day of the school year but not worn on the day.
This policy will be reviewed as part of the school’s three-year review cycle.
This policy was last ratified by School Council on: 25/11/13.