Students have the right to work and play in a school environment that is safe, secure, attractive and stimulating. Similarly, all staff have the right to work in a safe, secure and attractive environment.
• To ensure that the school’s buildings and surrounds are maintained and further developed in a safe, secure and attractive manner.
• To monitor, update and implement both short and long term plans for buildings and grounds improvement.
• School Council will appoint a ‘Property subcommittee which will meet and report on issues and present recommendations relating to buildings and grounds matters at each council meeting. The principal will be the convenor of the Property sub-committee.
• The sub-committee will be responsible for organising and implementing grounds maintenance contracts and rosters, as well as organising working bees for grounds development projects.
• All matters associated with buildings maintenance, including audits, tenders and works associated with maintenance funding, will be coordinated by the Property sub-committee.
• The sub-committee will coordinate major and minor projects funded either locally or by the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD).
• All contracts, including cleaning contracts, waste disposal and service contracts will be coordinated by the sub-committee, as will be any contracts for the hiring of premises or facilities.
• Submissions for additional facilities, or disabilities and impairments resource submissions will also fall under the jurisdiction of the Property sub-committee.
• The sub-committee is actively encouraged to second extra members with additional expertise at times of major projects, engage consultants when desirable, and is expected to work in close unison with the Finance sub-committee.
• School Council approves the use of workers carrying out community service orders for routine maintenance projects.
• For WorkSafe purposes it will be minuted annually that School Council approves the use of volunteer workers to carry out school work. A list of volunteers will be registered for each activity.
This policy will be reviewed as part of the school’s three-year review cycle.
This policy was last ratified by School Council on: 09/09/13.